Zuppa Toscana (vegan)
This was easily one of the most delicious soups I’ve ever made. I was craving something comforting, but without a ton of heavy dairy and saw this recipe video on Tiktok. I decided to make it one evening and I was NOT disappointed! Thanks @soyceress for the inspiration.
- 1 package vegan sausage (Field Roast Plant Based Fennel & Garlic Sausage), cut into medium cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, medium diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, medium dice
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 1 & 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked in hot water)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups chopped kale or fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt, more to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
- fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- vegan Parmesan to finish, optional
Heat a Dutch oven on medium high heat, add the veggie sausage and allow to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the diced onion to the pot and cook until softened, about 5 more minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Add the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and sauté for a minute.
- Deglaze with 1/4 cup white wine (Like Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc)
Add the potatoes, broth, bay leaf and simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 10 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, make the cashew cream: drain cashews, place in high speed blender with 1 cup plant-based milk and 1/4 cup nutritional. Blend until creamy and smooth.
Add the kale and cashew cream to the pot, season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
Serve the soup into warm bowls, top with grated vegan Parmesan and extra black pepper.
Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
This creamy and smooth cashew cream is the secret to the ultra creamy texture of the soup. No dairy in sight!
Tessari “Arcerus”Garganega Extra Brut Spumante
This soup is rich and decadent, despite it being vegan! A textured and creamy sparkling wine turned out to be a delicious pairing that enhanced every bite,
The ripe fruit-forward wine made from Gargenega had flavors of baked yellow apple, dried herbs and almond sponge cake. The ripe fruit flavors added a bright liveliness to the soup and the creamy texture wrapped every bite in a richness that took the soup to a higher level. Delicious!